Saturday, December 31, 2011

"The Dovekeepers" by Alice Hoffman

Four women find their lives interwoven as the Romans kill the inhabitants of Jerusalem and the surrounding lands. All four end up in Masada, a fortress built for a cruel king, now their safe haven. As their tales unfold, each woman is drawn into the lives of the others. There are, however, secrets that all keep. They are Yael, Revka, Aziza, and Shirah. They care for the doves in the Dovecote, sharing food, time, and space. As their time in Masada unfolds, you will learn of their loves, their fears, and their reality. Will they make it out alive? What happens with the loves in their lives? Once you get into the story, you won't be able to put it down.

While I found the book slow to start, once it picked up it wouldn't let me go. These women seemed very real and their stories were very compelling and complex. There were many times I wanted to cry with them, laugh with them, hope with them. I purchased this book because a group I belong to on Goodreads was reading it and I am so thankful I did! Now I want to read more about the actual event this book is based on. I recommend it to all historical fiction readers, and to book clubs everywhere. There is a lot to discuss within these pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment