Friday, July 15, 2011

“Just Tacos” by Shelley Wiseman

Tacos, a delicious Mexican dish that is gaining popularity all the time. Why? Because tacos can be eaten at any meal and can be filled with almost anything. This is the premise of this wonderful cookbook by Shelley Wiseman. Inside the pages are beautiful pictures that will have you anxious to reproduce the dishes. The explanations of spices like Epazote; how to’s like roasting and cleaning a chile poblano; instructions on what to have in your pantry for Mexican cooking (i.e. chilies, tomatillos, annatto seed, etc.) are extremely handy; and the directions on how to make the dough and how much to use per tortilla are very helpful. The recipes also cover quesadillas, sopes, and tostadas, along with quacamole and various salsas. This cookbook will make a wonderful addition to any cook's library.

I really like this cookbook. We love tacos, etc., in our house, and I like the new ideas I have found here. Ms. Wiseman is very inventive, including things like swiss chard, potato, and octopus. The recipes for the flavored tacos (black bean, chili flavored, hibiscus flavored, and more) show there is so much for me to learn and try. I especially liked the recipes for the following: lobster with mango salsa; roasted corn salsa; fiery Serrano-lime salsa; making blue corn tortillas; fruit coolers (drinks). This is a cookbook I will buy for myself and for others. I want to thank Net Galley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this on my Nook.

No comments:

Post a Comment