Saturday, August 6, 2011

"Thunder Dog" by Michael Hingson with Susy Flory

"Thunder Dog" is a name that makes you think of an animal with super powers, a hero, doesn't it? Well, Roselle is a hero who has a fear of thunder. She was Michael Hingson's guide dog, and partner, as he worked in the World Trade Center  on Sept. 11, 2001. Michael Hingson is blind and in this book he provides a great view of what it is like to be blind and partnered with a specially trained guide dog. 

Michael was the regional sales manager for Quantum/ATL, and was at his office on the 78th floor of Tower 1 that fateful morning. As he tells the story of their descent down 1,463 stairs, he also tells his personal story. What was it like growing up with parents who didn't hold him back? What was it like when he got his first opportunity to "read" e-mail? Huge strides have been made to help the blind function normally in a seeing world, and this book chronicles the history of a lot of it. He even includes things like a "Further Reading List" and "Resources for Blindness."

I read this book in one sitting. It is one that evokes memories because I think we all know where we were and what we were doing on 9/11/2001. I found the story inspirational and hopeful. His parents never put barriers on him, so Michael never put any on himself. That is something for all of us to apply today. This book is a wonderful choice for all readers. I thank the Book Sneeze program for my free copy of the book. That review is my personal opinion.

2 comments:

  1. Wow that is inspiration I found you through Good Reads(bookaddicts group) I was curious how did you get that button I would like to display mine on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I will look for you on Good Reads and talk about which button.

    ReplyDelete